CPWD celebrates its 167th Annual Day
About Central Public Works Department (CPWD)
- The Central Public Works Department of India (CPWD), is a premier Central Government authority in charge of public sector works.
- The Central Public Works Department, under the Ministry of Urban Development now MoHUA (Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs).
- Deals with buildings, roads, bridges, flyovers, complicated structures like stadiums, auditoriums, laboratories, bunkers, border fencing, border roads (hill roads), etc.
- CPWD came into existence in July 1854 when Lord Dalhousie established a central agency for execution of public works and set up Ajmer Provincial Division.
- It has now grown into a comprehensive construction management department, which provides services from project conception to completion, and maintenance management.
- It is headed by the Director General (DG) who is also the Principal Technical Advisor to the Government of India. The regions and sub-regions are headed by Special DGs and Additional DGs respectively, while the zones in all state capitals (except a few) are headed by Chief Engineers.
CPWD consists of three wings in execution field:
1) B&R (Buildings and Roads)
2) E&M (Electrical and Mechanical)
CPWD envisages a lead role for itself in the execution, maintenance and standardization of the built environment in India, while continuing to play the role of a government department in facilitating the implementation of policies for sustainable development and transparency in governance along with assimilation of kNowledge and experience. CPWD will strive to educate its clients to aspire for green buildings and develop Norms for the same.
To create and maintain a sustainable and inclusive built environment within the available resources while ensuring world class quality.
Functions of CPWD
- Design, construction and maintenance of Central Government non- residential buildings other than those for Railways, Communications, Atomic Energy, Defense Services, All India Radio, Doordarshan and Airports (IAAI & NAA).
- Construction and maintenance of residential accommodation meant for Central Government Employees.
- Construction works for Central Police Organizations i.e. CRPF, CISF, BSF, and ITBP as well as maintenance of assets of CRPF and CISF assigned to CPWD.
- Construction works for establishments under the Cabinet Secretariat i.e. SSB, SIB etc.
- Construction works for public sector undertakings not having their engineering organization, other Government Organizations, Autonomous bodies and institutions as deposit work. “Deposit Works” are such works, which are undertaken at the discretion of the Director General, CPWD for which the outlay is provided wholly or in part from
- a) Funds of a public nature but not included in the financial estimates and accounts of the Union of India.
- b) Contributions from the public.
- Providing consultancy services in planning, designing and construction of civil engineering projects, as and when required by public undertaking and other autonomous bodies.
- Construction of Embassy and other buildings / projects abroad at the request of Ministry of External Affairs and other Ministries.
- Defence / Security related works assigned by the government such as border fencing & flood lighting works and Indo China Border Road Works (ICBR).
- Construction of roads under PMGSY and RSVY programme. To undertake works under PPP/Alternate Funding mode.
You can find many articles on URBANIZATION (part of GS I) in our website. Go through these articles share with your friends and post your views in comment section.