Towards Independence Act 1947
The legislature representatives of the Indian National Congress, the Muslim League, and the Sikh community came to an agreement with Lord Mountbatten on what has come to be known as the 3 June Plan or Mountbatten Plan. This plan was the last plan for independence.
Indian Independence Act of 1947
- India as an independent and sovereign state
- Two independent dominions of India and Pakistan
- Empowered the Constituent Assemblies of the two dominions
- Abolished the office of viceroy
- It granted freedom to the Indian princely states either to join the Dominion of India or Dominion of Pakistan or to remain independent.
Source: M. Laxmikant