- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully tested the Akash Prime missile from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, Odisha.
- The missile intercepted and destroyed an unmanned aerial target mimicking enemy aircraft, in its maiden flight test after improvements.
About Akash Missile System
- Akash is India’s first indigenously produced medium range SAM that can engage multiple targets from multiple directions and it can be launched from mobile platforms like battle tanks or wheeled trucks. It has nearly 90% kill probability.
- The development of the Akash SAM was started by the DRDO in the late 1980s as part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme.
- It is unique in the way that It can simultaneously engage multiple targets in group mode or autonomous mode.
- It has built-in Electronic Counter-Counter Measures (ECCM) features, which means that it has mechanisms on-board that can counter the electronic systems that deceive the detection systems.
- The missile is supported by the indigenously developed radar called ‘Rajendra’.
- It can engage targets at a speed 2.5 times more than the speed of sound and can detect and destroy targets flying at low, medium and high altitudes.
- The missile is reportedly cheaper and more accurate than US’ Patriot missiles due to its solid-fuel technology and high-tech radars.
Upgrade in Akash Prime Missile
- In comparison to the existing Akash System, Akash Prime is equipped with an indigenous active Radio Frequency (RF) seeker for improved accuracy.
- Other improvements also ensure more reliable performance under low temperature environment at higher altitudes.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)- Key Points
- Background: DRDO was established in 1958 after combining Technical Development Establishment (TDEs) of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) with the Defence Science Organisation (DSO).
- Parent Ministry: DRDO works under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence.
- Mandate: To establish a world-class science and technology base for India and provides Defence Services decisive edge by equipping them with internationally competitive systems and solutions.
- DRDO is also responsible for carrying out Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
Integrated Guided-Missile Development Programme
- It was conceived by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam to enable India attain self-sufficiency in the field of missile technology. b
- The 5 missiles (P-A-T-N-A) developed under this program are:
- Prithvi: Short range surface to surface ballistic missile.
- Agni: Ballistic missiles with different ranges, i.e. Agni (1,2,3,4,5)
- Trishul: Short range low level surface to air missile.
- Nag: 3rd generation anti-tank missile.
- Akash: Medium range surface to air missile.
Source: Indian Express