NERAMAC revival and Oil Palm Mission are a big boost to North east Farmers, will contribute to doubling of their income
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by the Prime Minister has approved a revival package of Rs.77.45 crore (Rs. 17 crore towards fund based support and Rs.60.45 crore towards non-fund based support) for revival of North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (NERAMAC), a central Public Section Enterprises under the administrative control of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Regional (MDoNER).
- The Union Cabinet also approved the National Mission on Edible Oils – Oil Palm (NMEO-OP) as a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme with a special focus on the North east region and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The Mission aims to increase the area under cultivation for Oil Palm by an additional area of 6.5 lakh hectare (ha.) thereby reaching the target of 10 lakh hectares in the next 5 years.
- “India is the largest edible oil importer in the world and imports 133.50 lakh tonnes costing 80 thousand crores. The decision taken under the Prime Minister’s leadership will ensure us to be self-reliant and cut our import bill thus contributing to the Hon’ble Prime Minister’s vision of an Atmanirbhar Bharat”.
- the government has identified the North Eastern region as a special focus area as the target set for the North east in the next 5 years is more than 50% of the overall target of 6.5 lakh hectares set for the entire nation. On behalf of the farmers of the north eastern states, I am grateful to the Prime Minister for this visionary decision”.
- The NERAMAC Limited was incorporated in the year 1982 as a marketing organization in the field of Agri-Horti sector of the North-eastern region, under the administrative control of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER).
- It was set up to support farmers/producers of North East getting remunerative prices for their produce and thereby bridge the gap between the farmers and the market and also to enhance the agricultural, procurement, processing and marketing infrastructure of the Northeastern Region of India.
- NERAMAC is continuously making all efforts for the development of the farmers of the region and double their income by the end of 2022.
To undertake development and marketing of horticultural products within and outside the north eastern region and the supply of inputs, tools, equipment etc. required for the development of horticulture and agro-based industries whether own or run by the Government, statutory body, company, firm, co-operative or individual.
To undertake, establish, acquire, purchase, sell and manage the projects for the development of horticultural products such as establishment of nurseries and commercial orchards, seed stations etc. and function as agent for the distribution of seeds, plants, processed food and other such products connected with the development of horticultural products.
To manage, promote, aid and expedite the export of raw and finished horticultural produce and equipment and also to import raw and finished horticultural produce and equipment in furtherance of the company’s business.
North Eastern Council:
- The North Eastern Council was constituted by an Act of the Parliament in the year 1971 as an advisory body for socio-economic and balanced development of the North Eastern Areas.
- It is the nodal agency for the social and economic development of the North Eastern Region in India consisting of the 8 States of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Sikkim, Nagaland and Tripura.
- The establishment of the NE Council marked the beginning of a new era of planned and concerted efforts for the speedy development of that Region.
- NEC members: the Governors and the Chief Ministers of the 8 states including Sikkim, Chairman and 3 members nominated by the President.