Ministry of Commerce & Industry
Centre launches the “Secured Logistics Document Exchange (SLDE)” along with a Calculator for Green House Gas Emissions
Secured Logistics Document Exchange (SLDE):
- The initiative aim to further improve ease of doing business
- The SLDE platform is a solution to replace the present manual process of generation, exchange and compliance of logistics documents with a digitized, secure and seamless document exchange system.
- Digital transformation in the logistics sector to achieve the targets of improved India’s ranking in Logistics Performance Index
- The initiative set to improve logistics efficiency, reduce logistics cost, and promote multi-modality and sustainability
- These digital initiatives are launched to fill gap areas where no action has yet been taken either by private players or any of the line ministries
- The Event emphasized on the importance of digital transformation in the logistics sector to achieve the targets of improved India’s ranking in Logistics Performance Index; reduction in logistics cost and establishment of indigenous India-specific metrics for continual improvement in logistics.
- The Logistics Division with the mandate of “Integrated Development of the Logistics Sector” has planned specific digital initiatives with a focus on integrating the various digital systems across ministries/ departments and filling gaps so identified. In this context, key digital initiatives including SLDE platform for digital exchange of logistics-related documents and a Calculator for GHG emissions for choosing sustainable and right mode of transport for freight movement, have been developed.
How it will affect
This will enable generation, storage and interchange of logistics-related documents digitally using Aadhaar and blockchain-based security protocols for data security and authentication; it will also provide a complete audit trail of document transfer, faster execution of transaction, lower cost of shipping and overall carbon footprint, easy verification of authenticity of documents, lowered risk of fraud, etc.
The proof of concept of the platform has been developed and executed with banks (ICICI, Axis Bank, State Bank of India and HDFC Bank) and stakeholders including freight forwarders, exporters, importers and vessel operators.
It will benefit sectors logistics sector that the SLDE platform would facilitate, the banking sector endorsed the robustness of the SLDE platform, The platform make process fast, secure and efficient way of exchanging logistics-related documents including digitization of the e-bill of lading, all industry stakeholders expressed their support and adoption of this initiative.
Green House Gas Emission calculator
Along with the SLDE, Centre also launched a Green House Gas Emission calculator as well. The GHG Calculator is an efficient, user-friendly tool and provides for calculating and comparing GHG emissions across different modes. It allows for commodity-wise comparison of GHG emissions and total cost of transportation, including their environmental cost, between movement by road and rail. The tool is intended to facilitate appropriate modal choice for all concerned.
What are Greenhouse Gases?
- In simple terms, gases that trap heat in the earth’s atmosphere are known as Greenhouse Gases, abbreviated as GHGs.
- They contribute to the Greenhouse Effect, which is the resultant heating effect.
Greenhouse Effect Explanation
- A greenhouse or a glasshouse is a closed glass structure in which plants are grown in regulated climatic conditions.
- In such a structure, the solar radiation passes through the glass and is absorbed by the floor, earth, and other contents inside.
- They, in turn, become warmer and reradiates the energy as infrared (heat) radiation which is of a longer wavelength.
- This radiation cannot escape from the glass since glass cannot transmit infrared radiation. Thus, the temperature inside the greenhouse increases.
- This is the Greenhouse Effect.
You can find many articles on Infrastructure and Industry (part of GS III) in our website. Go through these articles share with your friends and post your views in comment section.