Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday virtually inaugurated the India-Bangladesh Friendship Bridge (Maitri Setu)
- Friendship Bridge (Maitri Setu) situated between India and Bangladesh over Feni river at Sabroom in south Tripura.
- Also inaugurated and laid the foundation stone for eight other infrastructure projects together worth ₹ 3,518 crore.
- Maitri Setu is 1.9-km- long
- The bridge, which was first mooted a decade ago, would immensely benefit Northeast India in trade matters as the same would connect the Chittagong sea port just 100 km from Agartala.
- Bangladesh government had declared its Chittagong and Mongla ports as Port of Call to facilitate India’s uninterrupted international and domestic trade activities through waterways in Bangladesh.
- Importance of ‘Maitri Setu’ on the Feni that demarcates international boundary between India and Bangladesh,
- the opening of the bridge would also benefit south Assam, Manipur and Mizoram to flourish in trade and tourism. “At the same time it will also create opportunities in Bangladesh”, he noted.