DRDO successfully test fires Enhanced Pinaka Rocket
Key Highlight Pinaka Rocket:
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired extended range version of indigenously developed Pinaka rocket from a Multi-Barrel Rocket Launcher (MBRL) on 24th and 25th June 2021.
- The test conducted at Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
- Twenty-five Enhanced Pinaka Rockets were launched in quick succession against targets at different ranges. All the mission objectives were met during the launches.
- The enhanced range version of Pinaka Rocket System can destroy targets at distances up to 45 kms.
- All the flight articles were tracked by Range instruments including Telemetry, Radar and Electro Optical Tracking System deployed by ITR & Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE).
- The rocket system has been developed jointly by Pune based Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) and High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) with manufacturing support from M/s Economic Explosives Limited, Nagpur. The development of Enhanced Pinaka system was taken up to achieve longer range performance.
Pinaka multi-barrel rocket launcher
- Pinaka is a multiple rocket launcher produced in India and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian Army.
- The system has a maximum range of 40 km for Mark-I and 60 km for Mark-I enhanced version, and can fire a salvo of 12 HE rockets in 44 seconds.
- The system is mounted on a Tatra truck for mobility.
- Pinaka saw service during the Kargil War, where it was successful in neutralising enemy positions on the mountain tops.
- It has since been inducted into the Indian Army in large numbers.
- As of 2019, an upgraded guided missile version of the system has been test-fired, with a range of over 90 km.
- Use of state-of-the-art technologies for improved combat performance
- Total operational time optimised for shoot & scoot capability
- Cabin pressurisation for crew protection in addition to blast shields
- Microprocessor-based fully automatic positioning and fire control console
- Night vision devices for driver and crew
- Neutralisation/destruction of the exposed troop concentrations, ‘B’ vehicles and other such soft targets
- Neutralisation of enemy guns/rocket locations
- Laying of anti-personnel and anti-tank mines at a short notice.
Pinaka MBRL – Different Variants
- Pinaka Mk-1, Range of 48 km (30 mi)
- Pinaka Mk-I Enhanced, Range of 60 km
- Pinaka Mk-II, Range of 90 km
- Pinaka Mk-III, Range of 120 km (It is still under development)
Pinaka MBRL – Manufacturers
Although the Pinaka MBRL was designed and developed by DRDO, to meet the requirement of armed forces, there are partner companies that developed important subsystems and components. The list of manufacturers are given below
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Ordnance Factories Board (OFB)
- Tata Power Strategic Engineering Division
- Larsen and Toubro (L&T)