- The scheme was launched in 2015 by the Ministry of Minority Affairs.
- Aim: To upgrade the capacity building and traditional skills of master craftsmen and artisans.
- In light of globalization & competitive market, these crafts have gradually lost their employability. It also envisages at boosting skills of craftsmen, weavers, and artisans who are already engaged in traditional ancestral work.
- The duration of the training will be for a minimum of two months and a maximum of one year based upon the selected traditional art or craft.
- The course would include training on soft skills, IT, Spoken English depending upon the level of trainees.
The objective of USTTAD Scheme:
- To build the capacity of craftsmen and artisans through training of the young generation.
- To set up standards for identified crafts, crafts and their documentation.
- To preserve the heritage of the traditional arts and crafts of minorities.
- To generate linkages of traditional skills with the global market.
- To increase the employability of existing workers, school dropouts, etc.
- To create a better livelihood for marginalized minorities.
- To empower minorities to avail opportunities in the global market.
- To ensure the dignity of labor.
- To showcase traditional arts and craft skills, including culinary skills through the exhibition, which also provide a platform to enlarge business opportunity.
- The scheme aims at capacity building and upgrading the skills of traditional craftsmen and artisans.
- These trained craftsmen and artisans will train the youth belonging to the minority community in various specific traditional arts and crafts.
- Under USTTAD, the Skill Development Programme will be conducted by the Ministry of Minority for all-important traditional arts and crafts being practiced by the minority communities for their development and market linkages and recognition of talent.
The scheme will have the following program:
- Upgradation of skills and training n traditional arts/crafts through the institution.
- USTTAD apprentice stipend for research and development.
- support to craft museums for curating traditional art. and crafts.
- support to minority craftsmen through hunar haats and shilp Utsav for marketing their products through exhibitions.
- recognition of talented craftsmen and artisans.
USTTAD Eligibility criteria:
Eligibility Criteria for Trainee:
- The applicant should belong to the minority community.
- The applicant age group should be between 14 to 35 years of age.
- The applicant should have passed at least a 5th standard.
Eligibility Criteria for PIA( Project Implementing Agencies ):
- Any societies registered under the Societies Registration Act and having experience of conducting traditional skill development courses.
- Any recognized private institution is conducting such traditional skill development courses for at least three years.
- Any association of industries like ASSOCHAM, CII, FICCI, etc. who are willing to run such training centers is eligible to apply for the scheme.
- Any institution of Government including training institutes, universities and public sector undertakings having the capacity to conduct such training programs is eligible to apply for the scheme.
- Rs.10000 per trainee for the non-residential program and Rs.13000 per trainee for the residential program.
- Rs.3000/- per trainee will be provided on a monthly basis as Remuneration to each craftsman or artisan.
Implementation Of USTTAD Scheme
- Under the National commission for minorities act 1992 this scheme will be implemented in order to preserve and promote traditional arts and craft which are practiced by minority communities
- This scheme will implement throughout the country
- The PIA is required to develop the course module in consultation with knowledge partners and master trainee
- The PIA will also launch various awareness campaigns
- PIA is required to engage the master trainer who should be well known master craftsmen and artisans in the selected field of traditional art and craft
- 1 master craftsman for each craft for maximum 100 trainee under the particular craft will be provided
- Preference will give to the projects with national/state awardee master craftsman/artisans, National merit certificate holders
- It is the responsibility of project implementation agency to arrange certificate from knowledge partners and agencies
- Easy microfinance/loans for trained youth through financial institutions will arrange through project implementation agency
- 33% seats will be a mark for minority girls
Release of Funds:
- Upon approval of a project, the funds will be released in three installments.
- The funds will be issued directly to the implementing agency through direct benefit transfer.