TROPEX 21 Debrief Naval Commanders at Kochi for OP Discussions
Theme: ‘Combat Ready, Credible and Cohesive force’.
- The exercise had commenced in January 2021, which will culminate by the third week of February.
- Participants: Indian Navy, Coast Guard, Marine Police of 13 coastal States and Union Territories along with other stakeholders in the maritime domain.
- The exercise was spread over the vast geographical expanse of Indian Ocean and its adjunct waters, with exercise scenarios centred around the extant geopolitical situation in IOR.
- As a prelude to this Theatre Level exercise, a coastal defence exercise – Sea Vigil was conducted in mid Jan 21 which witnessed all stakeholder Ministries of Govt of India
- Sea Vigil:
- ‘Sea Vigil’: In the first phase, the Indian Navy had conducted coastal defence exercise ‘Sea Vigil’ along the entire coastline and Island territories of India on 12-13 January 2021.
- Exercise Sea Vigil was followed by a large-scale Tri-Service joint amphibious exercise AMPHEX-21.
- Promote Stability and Peace: The Theatre Level exercise also aims to validate the Navy’s offensive-defence capabilities, safeguard national interests in the maritime domain and promote stability and peace in the Indian Ocean Region.
- Coastal Defence Setup: This exercise aimed to validate the coastal defence setup of the country, which was entirely revamped after the 26/11 Terror attacks at Mumbai.
- Combat readiness: It aimed at testing combat readiness of the Navy in a complex multi-dimensional scenario set in the context of the current geo strategic environment.