Ministry of Commerce & Industry
Government of India is developing various Industrial Corridor Projects as part of National Industrial Corridor Programme which is aimed at development of greenfield industrial cities in India in order to compete with the best manufacturing and investment destinations in the world. National Industrial Corridor Development & Implementation Trust (NICDIT) has been constituted for unified development of Industrial Corridors in the country
National Industrial Corridor Development Programme is India’s most ambitious infrastructure programme aiming to develop new industrial cities as “Smart Cities” and converging next generation technologies across infrastructure sectors.
Govt. of India is developing various Industrial Corridor Projects as part of National Industrial Corridor programme which is aimed at development of futuristic industrial cities in India which can compete with the best manufacturing and investment destinations in the world. The same will create employment opportunities and economic growth leading to overall socio-economic development.
11 Industrial Corridors Projects are being taken up for development with 30 Projects to be developed in 04 phases up to 2024-25:
- Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC);
- Chennai Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC);
- Amritsar Kolkata Industrial Corridor (AKIC);
- East Coast Industrial Corridor (ECIC) with Vizag Chennai Industrial Corridor (VCIC) as Phase 1;
- Bengaluru Mumbai Industrial Corridor (BMIC);
- Extension of CBIC to Kochi via Coimbatore;
- Hyderabad Nagpur Industrial Corridor (HNIC);
- Hyderabad Warangal Industrial Corridor (HWIC);
- Hyderabad Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (HBIC);
- Odisha Economic Corridor (OEC);
- Delhi Nagpur Industrial Corridor (DNIC).
While developing the Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC) project, Western DFC has been considered as the transportation backbone while Eastern DFC has been considered as the backbone for Amritsar Kolkata Industrial Corridor (AKIC) project. For other industrial corridor projects like Chennai Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC) and Bengaluru Mumbai Industrial Corridor (BMIC), NH-4 has been considered as the backbone. For East Coast Economic Corridor (ECEC), NH-5 which is part of the Golden Quadrilateral, the Kolkata–Chennai rail route has been considered as the transport backbone. The proposed North-South East-West and East Coast Dedicated Freight Corridors will further supplement the existing transportation backbone for the corresponding Industrial Corridors.
Phase 1: Projects under implementation and nearing completion
- Dholera Special Investment Region (22.5 sq. kms) under DMIC in Gujarat.
- Shendra Bidkin Industrial Area (18.55 sq. kms) under DMIC in Maharashtra.
- Integrated Industrial Township Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh (747.5 acres) under DMIC in Uttar Pradesh.
- Integrated Industrial Township Vikram Udyogpuri near Ujjain (1100 acres) under DMIC in Madhya Pradesh.
The program is aimed at providing multi modal connectivity with complete “plug and play” infrastructure till the plot level along with building resilient and sustainable future ready cities. As part of Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC) Project, 4 cities in the States of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh have already been implemented and 68 plots covering an area of 521 acres have been allotted so far with a committed investment of around Rs. 16,000 crore. Total developed land available which is additionally ready for allotment to industries is 3,620 acres and 3,000 acres for non-industrial uses.
Phase 2: Projects in advance stage of planning and implementation to be initiated by 2021
- Integrated Multi Modal Logistics Hub at Nangal Chaudhary (886 acres) in Haryana under DMIC has been approved by CCEA and implementation is likely to be initiated shortly.
- Krishnapatnam Industrial Area (2,500 acres) in Andhra Pradesh and Tumakuru Industrial Area (1,736 acres) in Karnataka under CBIC has been approved by NICDIT and approval from CCEA is being sought.
- For Multi Modal Logistics Hub (MMLH) & Multi Modal Transport Hub (MMTH) (1,208 acres) at Greater Noida in UP under DMIC, NICDIT has accorded its approval & CCEA approval is being sought.
- As part of DMIC, for Dighi Port Industrial Area (7413 acres), activities pertaining to detailed master planning and preliminary engineering has been completed
- As part of Hyderabad Warangal Industrial Corridor, master planning has been completed for Hyderabad (8000 acres)
Phase 3: Projects under development and implementation likely to be initiated by 2023
- As part of CBIC and its extension to Kochi, activities pertaining to detailed master planning and preliminary engineering for Ponneri (4,000 acres) and Dharmapuri Salem (1733 acres) in Tamil Nadu and Palakkad (1,878 acres) in Kerala has been initiated
Phase 4: Projects under conceptualization and implementation likely to be initiated by 2024
- For VCIC Corridor, project development activities are being initiate for Kopparthy and & Chittoor in Andhra Pradesh and tender documents for selection of consultants have been issued.
- For AKIC Corridor, Integrated Manufacturing Cluster at Prag Khurpia (2,935 acres) under AKIC in Uttarakhand is being taken up and tender documents for selection of consultants have been issued.
- As part of Hyderabad Nagpur Industrial Corridor, master planning has been completed for Zaheerabad (3500 acres)
- Orvakal (Andhra Pradesh) node under Hyderabad Bengaluru Industrial Corridor has been approved by NICDIT for development under National Industrial Corridor Programme in its meeting dated 19th August 2020 and project development activities are being initiated
- For Odisha Economic Corridor, two nodes have been identified i.e. Gopalpur, Bhubaneswar Kalinganagar (GBK node) and Paradip –Kendrapada – Dhamra – Subarnarekha (PKDS node) and same has been approved by NICDIT for development under National Industrial Corridor Programme in its meeting dated 19th August 2020 and are being taken forward
- For Vizag Node under VCIC in Andra Pradesh, State Govt. is carrying out the Detailed Master Planning and Preliminary Engineering.
- For Integrated Manufacturing Cluster at Rajpura Patiala under AKIC in Punjab, project development activities will be initiated as soon as confirmation from State Govt. regarding availability of land has been received.
State Govt.(s) have been urged to transfer land to the project SPVs for commencement of project development activities or identify land for conducting the feasibility studies as the case may be. NICDC is in constant engagement with the States to fructify this.